hoyeah…we meet again guys…so hows holiday? hows Chinese New Year? hopefully you guys enjoy this festive holiday. Ohh..before I forgot. hopefully its not too late…I just want to wish all my Chinese friends a very very Happy Chinese New Year and may your life will be more prosperous in this Rabbit Year…dun forget to give me angpow okay..ho3…
Anyway…back to the topic upthere..”Peeping the Tuxpaint”..emmm….what is Tux Paint actually? My first impression of Tuxpaint is one of the software like “Paint” programme…alaa..the one that we have in our computers…we use it to draw something virtually.
haaa…this one…”Paint”..got it? hu3..
However..”Tuxpaint” is not totally like “Paint’. Tuxpaint has more functions and advanced than Paint. Tux Paint is a drawing program for children ages 3 to 12. It combines an easy-to-use interface, fun sound effects, and an encouraging cartoon mascot who guides children as they use the program. Teacher can use and manipulate this software to teach the students in class.
Now lets talk more about thi Tux Paint…
1. The functions of the tool
- Teacher can use this software to teach lots of things. For instance, he/she can use this to teach and introduce various of colours to the students. Teacher can choose any colours provided at the bottom of the screen and show it to the students.
Plus, teacher can test the students by asking them to colour the blank canvas by the colour said by the teacher. From this, teacher can know wheter the students had mastered the name of colours taught to them.
- Then, teacher can also use this software to teach the students about shapes. It is because, this software provided types of shapes that can be choose by the teacher.
- Furthermore, teacher can also use this to teach the students about “Jawi” or “Chinese” writing. It is because, it has calligraphy button that can be use by the teacher to show and demonstrate on how to write Jawi or Chinese writing using this calligraphy.
- In addition,teacher can manipulate and use this software to teach numbers and calculation to the students.
- First and foremost, teacher can not use this software to do animation or movement with the pictures used. So, it will be less attractive to the students.
- Secondly, teacher will not be able to use sounds in this software since it do not provide any sounds or musics to be included in any of the teacher’s or student’s work. So, it will not favour students with audioand music intelligences who have the tendency and interest of music and sounds when learning something.
- Thirdly, this software is actually suitable for lower primary students and did not really suitable for the upper primary school students. So, this software can’t be used through out the years and the teacher will need to find another software thats suitable for the upper primary students.
3. When can this tool be used
This tool can be use in any stages of the lesson (from set induction to the closure).It depends on the teacher to use their creativity and manipulate this tool in their class. However, for me, this tool might be more suitable during the production stage whereby the teacher can ask the students to do or create something with this software based on the lesson taught previously. They can use this tool to show their understanding of the input given by the teacher.
4. The user friendliness from the teacher point of view (you)
In my point of view, this tool is easy to handle.That is why, this tool is more suitable to the lower primary students. It has label on each button and the user will be able to know the function of the button by looking at the labels. The words use for labeling the button is really simple and easy to understand. Those simple words will be very suitable for the primary school students since their vocabulary bank is still in the process of enriching and acquiring words. Plus, this software provide instruction to the users. “Using the program is so effortless and fun maybe because Tux, the little Linux mascot is around guiding you and giving advices at the bottom.– SharedReviews.com, May 23, 2008.”
The picture above shows the instruction provided in the software.